failure to ragequit

Dec 11, 2014  

Migrating from my Github blog (in Octopress) was supposed to work pretty much as specified in this guide 1

  • I used this gist in source/rss.xml and then ran rake generate
  • I imported the generated file (in public/rss.xml) into my Wordpress blog, only to see this error > This does not appear to be a WXR file, missing/invalid WXR version number.
  • A helpful post on the Wordpress Forums suggested the following change
<rss xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" version="2.0">
  <channel>
    <atom:link rel="hub" href="http://pubsubhubbub.appspot.com" xmlns:atom="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom"/>
    <wp:wxr_version>1.1</wp:wxr_version>
    <title>Agam&#39;s Mashed-Up Pome</title>

(i.e. adding the wxr_version marker line after the language specification)

  • After this, I tried importing again, it gave some warnings about not recognizing the author (which was to be expected) … and then though it said “import successful!”, there were no posts to be seen!

WTF Aaaarrgh WTF

date = “An” slug = “An/failure-to-ragequit”

Yeah, I don’t have the $&@%in time to waste trying various other hacks. The big reasons I wanted to switch was that

  1. I don’t want to muck around with Ruby ever again, and
  2. I want to be able to write posts online (i.e. through some sort of browser interface).

Now (1) is not an immediate problem, so I suppose if it re-occurs, I’ll put more time/effort into quitting Octopress, but meanwhile there are compromises possible for (2), such as the nice interface of draftin.com that I just discovered. So yeah, this blog lives on …


  1. This is the second time I’ve tried to jump from Octopress to Wordpress; Google suggests that most people seem to be going the opposite direction [return]